Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

8.6.07

Hover Fly In The Garden

Aside from the feeling of accomplishment I get when I see plants in the garden blooming my next favorite thing about gardening has to be bug watching. My neighbor's and family think I'm nuts and if I were to come across a guy laying on the ground staring at something I couldn't see I'd probably think he was crazy too.
  Hover Fly


But really the joke is on them because they don't get to experience these little wonders of nature that visit the various plants in my urban garden. I've been watching these little flies hovering around flowers and resting on foliage and finally got a photo of one of them. I asked for an identification on a gardening forum and I am told that this is a Hover Fly.

A Google search has yielded the following information:

Hover Flies are pollinators.

They've evolved to mimic wasps and bees.

Hover Flies are being recognized as an important part in biological control of plant pests.

The larvae of some species pray on garden pests like leafhoppers (that spread some diseases like curly top) and aphids.

You can encourage them to visit your garden by planting alyssum, parsley and yarrow among others.

Hover Fly on Wikipedia.

9 comments:

  1. What a great photo. I can be found in my garden at strange angles trying to photograph the "invisible" insects. Happy Gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got Yarrow covered! hehehe. Nice picture there. You actually took that yourself?

    My camera may be new but it doesn't do that good of a job in taking pictures of bugs. At least it is clear enough that I can post and ask if anyone recognizes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo! I also enjoy watching the wonders of the great outdoors. How can you not appreciate all those 'beneficial' creatures hard at work out there? It's beautiful and relaxing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! i had no idea what those were. you take some great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful picture! You have so much information in your posts!

    Thank you,

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruth,

    Glad I'm not the only one.

    DragonStone,

    Yeah I took that pic myself and it was a little bit of luck and a lot of patience. I must have photographed these flies about 50 times before I got one that was close enough and clear enough for me to be happy with.

    Waterroots,
    Glad you liked the photo and I ask myself the same question when I try to share these things with people around me who don't seem to care.

    BS,
    You're welcomed glad you like the pics.

    Renee,
    Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you're finding some posts useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh... so when people see us laying on the ground looking at someone, they don't quite understand? Well, THAT explains why half the neighborhood thinks I'm crazy! (Mulching and gardening at night explains why the other half agrees.) lol.

    I love your bug pics, and I've seen hoverflies in my garden but have never given them much thought for some reason. I'm glad for the education on these "good guys." Thanks Mr Brownthumb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ladybug picture! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics!! Love the macros..and the bugs

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.